Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Signs and Ideas

Here are some unrelated pictures and ideas from this trip to Taiwan.

Here is the diagram I have been looking for. In English we might say: "your eyes are the windows to your soul", but in the Chinese massage field: "your soles are the windows into your body". So each area of the sole is connected to an internal body part and massaging that part of the sole effects that internal body part. This picture clears up the asymmetry of the body as the liver is connected to the left foot and the heart is connected to the right foot. I had felt the left and right soles had perfect mirror symmetry.

I was shocked by this billboard as Taiwan is somewhat of a prudish country but on the other hand children are number one. Breastfeeding is correct but, I don't know that a billboard convinces anyone.
 While in TaiZhong, we stayed in a hotel that had no 4th floor, this is a Chinese superstition that the sound of the word for "death" sounds like the word for "four". I've heard that some buildings in the US do not have a 13th floor. Our building in Taipei does have a 13th floor and a 4th floor but maybe those residents get a discount. Count me in on the discount.

On the bus, I saw this translation about a low ceiling, I thought may be they were worried about a bad drug experience.
 From personal experience, I an testify that this restroom can handle more that one.
 I'd like to save the planet too!, but I don't think I'll become a vegetarian.
 At a hotel in TaiZhong this looked like a good idea. Separating the faucet from the tub. Most places in Taiwan have only a shower, a tub is a luxury.
Many of the ocean going ships/boats in Taiwan don't actually have a hull. They are more rafts built of PVC tubes. If Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer saw these boats they would be green with envy.
Some of these "rafts" are big enough to fish the oceans around Taiwan and make the commute to China.


 Using transparent material to use sunlight to project a message is kind of cool. Here in Puzi the tourist center used sunlight for notifications, tourist don't come when it is raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment