Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cong you bing or Cong zhua bing?

This year my favorite food is "cong you bing" or "cong zhua bing". These are a popular  street foods in Taiwan, basically like pizza dough with onions(green onions(cong)) in the dough. This dough can be either "deep fried"(cong you bing) or just fried on a hot grill(cong zhua bing). Of course, as is universally true, the deep fried version is more tasty and the more healthy version is hot grilled fried version.

Cong Zhua Bing - the healthy version



Cong you bing - the tasty version



Many times something is added between the folded over circular bread disk like a fried egg, or a hot dog( called a sausage) or a hamburger patty. I usually add a fried egg and hot sauce.



Either way it always makes me a happy camper.
30 NT is about $1, with a fried egg added the price is usually 35 NT. To cook Cong YOU bing you need a deep frier, that's a little harder to find in a roadside food stall.

In the interest of food science, I did a taste test of 3 Cong Zhua Bing


Each was made with a different filling. One had a sausage(actually a hotdog), one had a hamburger patty and the other had a fried egg.
 I suppose it was no more unhealthy than eating three big slices of pizza. (Pizza with egg, now that sounds interesting.) I got all three at my favorite shop on Xinsheng road a block south of Aiguo on the west side of Xinsheng.
 I think I'll stick with the added fried egg. The others were just too greasy, if that is possible.







No comments:

Post a Comment